Since I got back from my roaring weekend of sunny warm Los Angeles and San Francisco, it’s been doing nothing but rain!! The temperatures have also dropped to a more fall like feel. Which I love, just minus the rain. I don’t have all that much room in my little cottage so I can only really do my workouts out on my deck, so I’m not so much a fan of the rain! I hear up here that during the winter months it does nothing but rain, so I’m going to have to come up with some creative workouts that I can manage to do in a tiny box like area. Any suggestions??
In any case, this colder weather has struck up a strong desire for curling up in front of the fire with some hot cocoa and a blanket…. but since I don’t have a fire place I opted for a warming soup instead! This soup was thrown together and ended up tasting Ah-MAH-zing!! (my newest favorite word courtesy of my newest favorite show Happy Endings, anyone else watch it?? So hilarious!!) I love to make soups because you can really put anything into it, load it up with veggies, beans, and even grains and it tends to last for about a week of lunches or dinners, for one person that is.
The other best thing about this soup is that it is packed with all kinds of vitamins and protein, so it keeps you quite full for long time while also giving you some vitamin C and carotenoids to give you a nice glow 🙂 Really this should be called Power Glow Chili!
Ah-MAH-zing Vegetable Chili
2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 can diced italian herbed tomatoes
2 Tbsp Tomato paste
2 Large carrots (chopped)
2 Large Garlic cloves
Half of a large white onion (chopped)
1 Yellow bell pepper (chopped)
1 Red bell pepper (chopped)
2 Cups water
2 cans Chili Bean Mix (although I used 1 can chili bean mix and about 1 cup of chick peas)
1-2 dashes cayanne pepper (the heat!!)
3 Tbsp dried Basil
Himalayan Sea Salt and Pepper to taste
– Pour olive oil into large pot, wait till it heats up a bit
– Add garlic and onion and saute until onions become translucent
– Add chopped carrots, and saute for about 5 minutes
– Add spices and tomato paste, stir around a bit, maybe 1-2 minutes more
– Add bell peppers, saute about one minute
– Add in tomatoes, and water and bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer for about 30 minutes (continue stirring every 10 minutes or so)
– Add in beans and continue to simmer for about 15-20 more minutes (keep your eye on the carrots, they are going to be your marker for when the soup is done. You want the carrots to become slightly soft, but not too soft)
Enjoy with some yummy rice crackers or a whole wheat baguette!
I’ve been enjoying this soup for lunch this week and it totally fills you up and warms you up too! Delicioso!
What do you turn to when the weather turns cold??